E. Summary and Suggestion
5.1 Purposes of Practicum
The SEA-Teacher project aims to provide
opportunity for pre-service student teachers from universities in Southeast
Asia to have teaching experiences (practicum) in schools in othercountriesinSoutheastAsia.
Specifically,theaimsofthe SEA – Teacher Project are:
1. To enable the student teachers to
develop their teaching skills and pedagogy.
2. To encourage the student teachers
to practise their English skills.
3. To allow the student teachers to
gain a broader regional and world view.
4.To expose future teachers to
diverse teaching and learning situations and opportunities, and the value of
flexibility.
Based on these objectives, I feel that with
this program I can develop my teaching abilities. Since childhood I always
wanted to be a teacher, but I always developed it in my country. So when I
heard about this program I was very interested in continuing to develop my
potential. This is also because I want to develop my language skills in
English. I was also able to experience other benefits related to gaining a
broader regional and world view. Because I can know the culture and language of
another country, namely the Philippines. Then I felt development in dealing
with various situations and teaching and learning opportunities.
5.2 Procedures of Practicum
The procedure for this program begins with the
registration process. I received a circular from my campus, I filled out the
registration regarding my personal biodata and teaching skills. Then I waited
for further information a few weeks after I registered. I get information
regarding university and school placements from partner countries. Followed by
an interview session by the Coordinator of SEA Teacher from Universidad de Sta.
Isabel, Philippines regarding the teaching potential and skills that I have,
then regarding the technical departure. As well as things that must be prepared
such as:Logistic arrangement: passport and flight ticket
1.
English language skill
2.
Health, accident, and travel
insurance
3.
Mental readiness
4.
Cultural differences
After I arrived at Universidad de Sta. Isabel Philippines I follow a predetermined schedule including:
1st Stage : Orientation and Class Observation
2nd Stage : Teaching assistant (Working with classroom teacher,
Lesson plan consolidation)
3rd Stage : Teaching in classroom (Adequate teaching hours,
Monitoring and evaluation by mentor)
4th Stage : Reflection and lesson learned (Reflection of my performance in general and discussion of the lesson learned)
5.3 Outcome of Practicum
The results of this program include:
- Video of the learning process during the Teaching Demonstration.
- Participant blogs about Sea Teacher activities
- Increase my teaching potential and abilities
- Increased my English language skills
- Gain a broader regional and world view.
- Develop abilities in diverse teaching and learning situations and opportunities, and the value of flexibility.
5.4 The Challenges of the Practicum
The
most obvious challenge I face here is in religious situations. I am a Muslim so
this is a new challenge and experience for me to be in an environment with a
majority Catholic population. Even the school I went to was a Catholic school.
Of course, we have different worship times, so I have to convey the worship
times I have to my Cooperating Teacher first. Even though we have different
religions, I can still see tolerance. Because they still really appreciate my
worship time. Then the students whose classes I came to often asked me
questions regarding the hijab I wore. I am happy to answer it, because of
course it will be new knowledge for them. Even from this difference, I had the
opportunity to be invited to be a speaker in front of high school students
regarding Islam. This is a new experience for me, because this is the first
time I have conveyed the religion of Islam in front of people with different
religions. I am very happy to share my experience and knowledge with them. I
also gained knowledge from what they said.
The
next challenge is regarding learning preparation. Especially the use of
everyday language and when learning takes place. I only have experience
teaching using Indonesian, so this is a new challenge for me to be able to
teach students using English. I deal with it by continuing to get used to it
and practicing communicating with students. So I can adapt well. Then another
lesson preparation challenge is creating a lesson plan in a detailed format.
Because I usually use a semi-detail format in Indonesia. However, by creating
this detailed format, I can better understand and imagine possible student
responses.
5.5
Overall Impression
I am very happy and grateful to be able to take part in this program, there is a lot I can gain through this program. I am very grateful to the coordinator of the SEA Teacher, Cooperating Teacher program and the students from USI Elementary School. After a month of Teaching Demonstration at USI, I felt that USI students were very warm and cheerful. I could even feel this when I entered my first class. They immediately welcomed me with warm hugs and very sweet smiles. They always praise me and hold my hand. Because of this, I am always enthusiastic about going to class every day. They gave me many interesting and unforgettable experiences. Especially for grade 2 and grade 5 students. They always show their expressions in a very unique and funny way. It's not uncommon for me to see students crying because they are hungry. I always get closer to students when faced with this situation, I persuade them carefully until finally the students are happy again and continue learning. In a learning situation, I see something very valuable here. USI always cultivates mental courage in students. This can be seen from their courage to come forward and answer questions even though their answers are wrong. I learned many things from the students here, about courage, not being afraid of making mistakes, and always trying new things to gain knowledge for yourself. Even at the farewell time of each class, they prepared a surprise for me by showing their respective performances. This really amazed and moved me with their preparation and courage.
5.6
Suggestions for Future Improvement
My suggestion for further development is for the duration of the
activity. Because I think 30 days is too short a time. So we only have the
opportunity for Teaching Demonstration at a few meetings. If the time is
extended, perhaps activity participants will gain more experience and benefits.
Thank you very much for the opportunity that has been entrusted to me, I hope
that with the development of this program more prospective teachers will be
well facilitated in developing the potential and abilities that we have.
.png)
.png)
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment