D. Teaching Practice

 


4.1 Procedures of Teaching

The procedure before starting the Teaching Demonstration starts from several stages including:

1. Preparation Grade and Section

After carrying out observations for 2 weeks, I decided to choose 5-Charity and 5-Faith as the classes I would attend when my Teaching Demonstration took place.

2. Making a lesson plan

The lesson plan was made using a detailed format with a table of teacher activities and student activities. I created motivation, core activities and evaluation sections in the table.

3. Preparation of Learning Media

In carrying out the Teaching Demonstration, I used the Magic Carpet learning media. I brought it from Indonesia. However, I still make other media such as dice, question sticks and King's crowns.

4.2 Time management and organizing activities

The first day of Teaching Demonstration is October 5 2023 in grade 5-Charity with a duration of 120 minutes from 8.00 - 10.00 am. The topic of my Teaching Demonstration is about Order of Operation. I have implemented my lesson plan well. This is because the lesson plan format is included in the detailed lesson plan, so of course I already have an idea of the possible student responses in answering questions or activities that I carry out in class. I opened the class in the Motivation session by greeting the students, then asked them to tidy up their seats and check around if there was rubbish in their class. I did this based on the results of observations I saw of what My Cooperating Teacher did while teaching in each class. The students responded very well to instructions, they followed my instructions by tidying up their seats, but they didn't find any trash in their classroom because it was already clean.

       Then at the Motivation stage, I prepared 5 sheets of paper consisting of routine activities in the morning such as waking up, showering, having breakfast, putting on a uniform and going to school. I attached the five pieces of paper in random order and asked the students to sort them. After that we can conclude and draw connections to the topic of Order of Operation. I am very happy because I was able to attract students' attention during this session. They seemed happy and enthusiastic about following the learning I was doing. Next, I give them a little example to work on together. Students were able to follow this example very well, in fact they were very brave in coming forward to try to answer. After that, I gave the theory regarding the Order of Operation, starting by showing examples of story questions so that they could imagine it in everyday life.

After making sure they understand the material I am conveying. I give them questions to work on first, but I still give them the opportunity to ask questions or discuss with friends around them. I give you 5 questions to work on in about 10-15 minutes. After that, I asked them to try to come forward to answer the questions. According to my observations of how My Cooperating Teacher gives students the opportunity to answer questions. I always give students the opportunity to answer questions, and ask about the truth of the question, also by asking what the reasons are for the truth of the question. So that students can observe together regarding answers and rationalize the answers given by their friends. After that, the moment that made them most enthusiastic was when the Magic Carpet Games took place, I divided them into 3 large groups and asked them to divide their roles to play on the Magic Carpet and answer questions. However, unfortunately, because the instructions were not comprehensive enough and the students were too enthusiastic, this game activity was not conducive. There were several things that didn't match what My Cooperating Teacher and I had planned. But I still have to finish the game well, the winner is still given a prize. I also make sure they still understand the essence of the material that day. By asking for conclusions and repeating the Order of Operation. The class closed again with prayer and saying goodbye.

After completing the first day of Teaching Demonstration, I was asked to meet with My Cooperating Teacher and The Coordinator of SEA Teacher, to get feedback in the form of consultation and some suggestions. My Cooperating Teacher gave lots of positive suggestions on how to start the class by giving more organized examples of questions to students and of course on how to manage students when the game was in progress. The Coordinator of SEA Teacher also gave a very positive suggestion, namely by displaying a Magic Carpet image on my powerpoint slideshow, so that students would not be so curious and could control their enthusiasm.

I implemented all the suggestions and input conveyed by My Cooperating Teacher and The Coordinator of SEA Teacher the next day, namely during my Teaching Demonstration at Grade 5-Faith on October 6 2023 for 80 minutes from 1.00 - 2.20 pm. I can see a lot of changes in this second class. Students can be better structured. I applied the example questions suggested by My Cooperating Teacher, and the result was that students understood more easily in a very efficient manner. Then I also applied the advice given by The Coordinator of SEA Teacher regarding the Magic Carpet game. So I can run everything very controlled and according to plan. I ended it smoothly and with minimal problems. That day I felt very proud and grateful to be able to manage students well and provide knowledge to them.

4.3 Classroom Management

Using the Magic Carpet Learning Media during the Teaching Demonstration was a challenge for me in managing students in class. Because I have to facilitate diverse student characters in starting the game. On the first day I carried out the Teaching Demonstration, the students seemed very enthusiastic about the learning media that I brought so that it was quite difficult for them to be conducive. I use the “night pat” game technique to conduce them to starting the Magic Carpet again according to plan. In my plan, they will sit with their group members in their respective group chairs. However, because of the students' enthusiasm, they wanted to see the Magic Carpet directly and up close so they sat in a circle around the carpet, which made it difficult for me to control the students. After receiving an evaluation regarding the first day of the Teaching Demonstration, I received several suggestions from the Cooperating Teacher and Coordinator of SEA-Teacher regarding how to condition students during the game. I ended up inserting the images from the game into a Power Point display so that students could see the images and not be so curious about the carpet I was going to keep in the middle of the classroom. After I used this plan, the second day of the Teaching Demonstration went very well. All the plans that I have prepared in such a way can be implemented perfectly. Students are very conditioned, really conducive to listening to the lecture even while the game is in progress.

4.4 Problem-solving While Teaching and Staying in the Designated School

In solving a problem when teaching, I always find out and confirm first what is happening. Then I think about what risks will occur before I make a decision. This happened when I entered the second class during the Teaching Demonstration and it turned out that the time schedule for this class was quite short compared to the previous class. So I resolved this by taking the decision to shorten the soldering time and playing time. Compared to the previous class, I asked the second class to roll the dice and do group questions simultaneously to shorten the time. Because of the problem solving, I was able to complete the learning on time. Next is problem solving when there are students who cry or are not focused on learning. Usually I will ask first about why the student is crying. After that I can think about how I can get the students' attention again. In the process of solving this problem, I usually always persuade and create a pleasant atmosphere for the students. Next is solving problems when settling in the designated school. Of course, the same as the strategy I have conveyed, I always think about the risks of every possible decision I take in solving problems.

Comments

Popular Posts