C. Teaching Plan

3.1 Curriculum

K to 12 Basic Education Curriculum


Conceptual Framework

Mathematics is one subject that pervades life at any age and in any circumstance. Thus, its value goes beyond the classroom and the school. Mathematics as a school subject, therefore, must be learned comprehensively and with much depth. The twin goals of mathematics in the basic education levels, K-10, are Critical Thinking and Problem Solving. Critical thinking, These two goals are to be achieved with an organized and rigorous curriculum content, a well-defined set of high-level skills and processes, desirable values and attitudes, and appropriate tools, taking into account the different contexts of Filipino learners.

There are five content areas in the curriculum, as adopted from the framework prepared by MATHTED & SEI (2010):

1.      Numbers and Number Sense,

2.      Measurement,

3.      Geometry,

4.      Patterns and Algebra,

5.      Probability and Statistics

 The specific skills and processes to be developed are: knowing and understanding; estimating, computing and solving; visualizing and modelling; representing and communicating; conjecturing, reasoning, proving and decision-making; and applying and connecting. The following values and attitudes are to be honed as well: accuracy, creativity, objectivity, perseverance, and productivity. We recognize that the use of appropriate tools is necessary in teaching mathematics. These include: manipulative objects, measuring devices, calculators and computers, smart phones and tablet PCs, and the Internet. We define context as a locale, situation, or set of conditions of Filipino learners that may influence their study and use of mathematics to develop critical thinking and problem solving skills. Contexts refer to beliefs, environment, language and culture that include traditions and practices, as well as the learner’s prior knowledge and experiences. The framework is supported by the following underlying learning principles and theories: Experiential and Situated Learning, Reflective Learning, Constructivism, Cooperative Learning and Discovery and Inquiry-based Learning.

In carrying out the Teaching Demonstration, I decided to do it in Grade 5. For this reason, it is in accordance with the k 20 12 curriculum There are Grade Standards for Grade 5, The learner demonstrates understanding and appreciation of key concepts and skills involving;

1.      Numbers and number sense (whole numbers up to 10 000 000, order of operations, factors and multiples, fractions and decimals including money, ratio and proportion, percent);

2.      Geometry (polygons, circles, solid figures);

3.      Patterns and algebra (sequence and number sentences);

4.      Measurement (time, circumference, area, volume, and temperature); and

5.      Statistics and probability (tables, line graphs and experimental probability

As applied - using appropriate technology - in critical thinking, problem solving, reasoning, communicating, making connections, representations, and decisions in real life.

3.2 Teaching Plan Related to My Major

After determining the Grade for the Teaching Demonstration that I carried out, then I and the Cooperating Teacher discussed the implementation date and material topic. In Grade 5, the topic of material that I will cover is Order of Operation, so I again refer to the curriculum regarding this material. There are Standards for this material including:

1.      Content Standards:

The learner demonstrates understanding of order operations.

2.      Performance Standards:

The learner is able to apply orders of operations in mathematical problems and real-life situations.

3.      Value Standards:

Can obey God's rules that have been established, and carry them out according to the provisions in everyday life.

Then there is also a learning target, namely At the end of the lesson, the student is expected to say, "I can" State, Explain, and Interprets Parenthesis, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction (PMDAS) or Grouping, Multiplication, Division, Addition , Subtraction (GMDAS) Rule.

In designing the Lesson Plan, I refer to the Lesson Plan Philippines format, namely a detailed format which contains a teacher and activity table. So I can predict possible responses and answers from students when learning takes place. In Learning Activities, I designed a Motivation agenda using media in the form of pictures of activities in the morning in a random order. I planned to stick them on the whiteboard and then students would analyze and order the activities according to the rules. Then I can connect that motivation to the topic that I will convey. Of course, I also don't forget to include Value standards in my learning activities by connecting them to the topic. Next, in the main activity, I present a short example for the students to analyze and work on together, so that I also apply the student center principle in making the lesson plan. In the evaluation stage, I prepared a learning medium, namely Magic Carpet, which would be played in groups, so that the assessment I implemented was a formative assessment while the game activity was in progress.


Comments

Popular Posts